This is my boy, Sam.
He’s getting married next week.
He’s 27 years old and has grown up to become an interesting, capable and compassionate young man.
I’ve given him lots of advice over the years, but looking at this picture, there’s just a few more things I’d like to say.
1. See how firmly you grip that baseball bat? Hold on to your marriage with that same steady hand, ready for whatever comes.
2. See the strength in those arms? Put those arms around your wife everyday — let her know she can depend on your strength.
3. See how straight and tall you stand? Be resolved to stand up for what’s true, noble, right, pure and lovely as you lead your family.
4. See that twinkle in your eye? Bring joy and energy and delight into your home when you walk in the door at the end of each day.
5. See the way your hair sticks out every which way? You don’t have to be perfect — and neither does she.
6. See that smile on your face? Let that positiveness fill you with confidence for your future together.
7. See that ear bending under your hat? Listen, really listen to each other’s words and say “I love you” often.
8. See that uniform? You’re starting a new team and you are in it together. Lots of us are cheering you on.
9. Just a couple other things: shut the cupboard doors, pick up your dirty clothes and put down the toilet seat.
10. Keep Jesus at the center.