I turned a verb into a noun.
(“Listens” are not persons, places or things).
Podcasts, apps and music provided for some wonderful listening experiences this year, so they are all lumped together here. The fact that I won a free pair of Airpods only enhanced the adventure of finding good “listens”. Podcasts, apps and music are very personal choices, so take these lists or leave them. But get something good in your ears.
- Wild at Heart Podcast — I’ve always enjoyed John Eldredge and the content he and his team put out on “Wild at Heart”. This year I needed it. Every Monday, from the onset of the pandemic until now, he has been a calming voice in my ear. Yes, the world is “gnarly” right now. These days call for maturity. God draws near and is full of mercy. His messages kept my chin up and my eyes on Jesus.
- Pastor Writer Podcast — A weekly talk about books, ministry and writing by Chase Replogle. Three of my favorite things. He’s a very humble guy and is a top-notch interviewer of real quality guests. Plus, he sent me the free Airpods.
Those are the two I try not to miss. Here are a few others I tune in to from time to time:
The Next Right Thing, Emily P. Freeman
Knowing Faith, Jen Wilkin, JT English and Kyle Worley
The Habit: Conversations with Writers About Writing, Jonathan Rogers
Tony Evans’ Sermons, Tony Evans
The Village Church, Matt Chandler
- Grace and Mercy, Jess Ray (song)
- Behold the Lamb of God, Andrew Peterson (album)
- Resurrection Letters, Vol. 1, Andrew Peterson, (album)
- Yet Not I, City Alight (album)
- American Standard, James Taylor (album)
- Song of the Lamb, Harvest (song)
- Psalm 119, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, Exodus Music (albums)
- God So Loved, We the Kingdom (song)
- Goodness of God, Bethel Music (song)
- Psalm 116 (I Love You, Lord), Mission House (song)
- No Doubt About It, We the Kingdom (song)
- Evergreen, Audrey Assad (album)
- Birdsongs (Time to Relax), (album)
- Lectio 365 — a free 10-12 minute daily devotional by the 24/7 Prayer movement. It’s so good.
- Dwell — a scripture listening app with 10 different voices to choose from. There are 64 Bible listening plans, 55 themed playlists, and 286 passages. This one isn’t free, but so worth it.
- Libby — the library app that lets me borrow audio books. I plan to use this more in 2021.
- This is also a very good idea.