In the spirit of the post “10 Things I Miss” (June 12,2012) here are 10 things I don’t miss, in no particular order:
1. Dating. I’m so glad that’s over. It’s nice to know I can go out (or stay in) any time I want with the best guy ever.
2. Homework. After a busy day, sitting down to help my kids face a night of homework was sometimes overwhelming. One kid cried over her math book regularly. Another kid had a habit of leaving 10 page papers until the night before they were due. Stressful stuff.
3. Ice and snow. Give me a hot summer day anytime. I remember one family vacation (before air-conditioned cars) when my mother charged us a quarter if we dared to complain about the heat. We’re from Wisconsin, remember.
4. Rotary phones, pay phones and long distance phone bills. I am consistently amazed at how cell phones changed life.
5. Pantyhose. My cousin wore stockings one day and her grandkids, who had never seen nylons, asked her why her legs looked like they were plastic.
6. Staying up late at night. I love crawling into bed early with a book. And PB.
7. The American League. I’m glad the Brewers left the AL for the NL. DHs are chubby old guys. Pitchers should bat.
8. Detasseling. It was my summer job on the farm, rain or shine, in the heat and humidity. I had a great tan from the waist up, though.
9. Trying to be perfect. I gave up perfectionism and have been much happier ever since.
Just to prove that #9 is indeed true, I will leave this list incomplete. Actually, I can’t think of another thing I don’t miss. Maybe you can help round out the list — offer a suggestion!