“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.”
1 Thessalonians 5:11*
How do we encourage each other?
By building each other up.
How do we build each other up?
By encouraging each other.
This is a 2-for-1 verse.
It also works in reverse.
How do we discourage each other?
By tearing each other down.
How do we tear each other down?
By discouraging each other.
I’ve seen a lot of slumped shoulders and downcast faces lately. Maybe it’s the pandemic/election/tension/isolation wearing us down. It’s daunting to think about a winter filled with more of the same.
So, how do we rise above it?
We build each other up.
What are our building materials?
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph. 4:29
Wholesome words. Helpful words. Beneficial words.
It’s not that hard. Here are a few to get you started.
- You look really nice today.
- I’m praying for you in this challenging season.
- You are so patient with your 2 year old — good job, momma.
- All your hard work isn’t going unnoticed.
- Keep going! You’re doing great things!
- Your insights helped me understand that better — thanks.
- I’ve seen a lot of growth in you this year.
- The way you use your gifts has been such a blessing to me.
- I feel so lifted up after talking with you.
- We are in this together. You can count on me.
- Share with me what God has been teaching you lately.
- I left a pan of fresh cinnamon rolls on your porch.
In case you’re wondering how often we need to do this:
“Encourage one another daily…” (Heb. 3:13)
“and all the more as you see the Day approaching” (Heb. 10:25).
The capital “D” Day of Christ’s return is drawing near!
Now, that’s an encouraging word!
Jesus, forgive me for tearing down others by speaking unkind, discouraging words. Help me to be a dispenser of positive, helpful and beneficial words to everyone I meet. Give me the desire to receive Your encouragement daily by reading Your Word and staying in fellowship. You created us to need each other. Help us, Your children, to encourage one another.
*Part seven in a series on “The One Anothers”
Thanks for the encouragement reminder Dinah!
Thanks for being an encouragement to me, Paige!